Monday 31 March 2014

Raptors v Magic : The Big Dipper

Now that Europe has moved its clocks forward I lose my favourable tip-off times, but an 11pm UK time start in Orlando and a day off work on Monday gave me a rare chance to watch a live evening Raptors game.  As it happened it turned out to be a Big Dipper of a roller coaster the like of which isn't in Disneyland.

I nearly called it a night at half time when the Raptors were well up, and I'd have slept pretty soundly.  It was a fun first half with a good battle at the centre position and some good energy off the bench from Nando and Fields - Fields' big slam quite possibly the highlight:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2014/03/30/0021301096-tor-orl-play4.nba

From there on some sloppy defence, and some sloppy possessions from the two main point guards let the Magic back in and smell blood.  There was a lot of relief at the end of the game I'm sure.

I don't know why Casey had so much difficulty re-inserting the successful bench unit when Lowry and Vasquez were struggling to much in possession and Salmons getting burned at the defensive end every time a defender pulled a move on him.  With Landry you always get good movement, active hands and it seems as well a burst of pace compared with a tiring league.

I love seeing JV playing well too.  Like many Raptors fans I think he's the future face of the franchise and am desperate to see him meet his potential.  Vucevic is a tough match up on any night and a 20-9 return for the young center - including a rare floating hook! - was fun to see.  I like the look of the Raptors when both he and Old Man Hayes are on the floor together - Hayes just seems to talk to him enough on the defensive end, helping him on positions - I think he can learn a lot from Chuck.

A fun game in hindsight, but those starters won't get any rest if they can't keep 20 point leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment